Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Arizona vs. North Carolina

So, there are a lot of things that are different here in Arizona than in North Carolina, but for this post - I focus mainly on the food chain differences (insert wink face here to all of my NC peeps who know me well).

As some (maybe even most) of you know from my recent Facebook post, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the ever-famous, Panera Bread, is actually "hidden" here in Arizona!!  To prevent from boring everyone with the repeat story (from Facebook), I'll be sure to share some other "hidden" chains here in Arizona, but also give you an idea of how big Phoenix really is based on some of these chains!


Panera Bread = Paradise Bakery

It's true, Paradise Bakery & Cafe, found all over, up and down, here in Phoenix, AZ is actually owned by Panera Bread (100% in 2008, originally only 51% in 2007).  I had no idea of this fact until I finally
allowed myself to step foot in one just this afternoon.  I'm a Panera girl.....I love my Panera....I miss my Panera - but if I can't have my Panera, I guess I'll give Paradise a chance (this is exactly what I've been thinking for the whole month and eight days since I've been here).  

I chose to try out the Paradise at the Biltmore Fashion Park on Camelback (I know NC folks, I'll explain "Camelback" in another post later), a high-end shopping center close to the center of downtown Phoenix.  I visited Biltmore specifically for the Vera-Bradley store - but noticed on the directory that Paradise Bakery was right beside ole' Vera.  So why not??  I have to walk past Paradise to get back to my car anyways, may as well at least check the "bakery" out....

Cinnamon Crunch Bagel????  Everything Bagel????  The signs.....the writing on the signs - they look so....so familiar!!!!  Almost out of breath, "Excuse me, miss.......are you familiar with 'Panera Bread?!?'"  "Yes, they are actually the owners of Paradise!"  Well there you have it!  I walked out, mouth still wide open; didn't purchase anything - never planned on it - just trying to save a little money.  As I started towards the car, I thought to myself, I need to check this out - again......  So I turned around (lol), and went right back inside....
Yes, they have bread bowls, salads, sandwiches, ORANGE SCONES!!!!  They have it all - or close to it!!  So I gave in, why not try a Mandarin Orange Muffin?!?  And it was good - VERY similar to the orange scone itself!!  Well now I'm satisfied; the beloved Panera Bread is still with me, right here in Phoenix....



Alright, so here are some cool fun facts to help you compare Phoenix, AZ to good ole' Eastern NC:

There are:

1)  two (2) Paradise Bakery Cafe's less than five miles of my apartment complex.

2)  approximately thirty-nine (39) within and around Phoenix (please note, this includes, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Glendale, Peoria, Surprise, Deer Valley, and Scottsdale - several suburbs of Phoenix).


Other cool facts:

3)  Instead of Hardee's, there are "Carl's Jr." (They have Carl's Jr. in Alaska too!!  I remember this from my trip last summer!!).....Side Note:  While adding the Carl's Jr. link - I saw an add for a Strawberry Poptart Ice Cream Sandwich.........will probably go get one when I'm through with this blog.....
4)  No Bojangles, only Popeye's (booooooo.........except for their hot apple pies)

5)  Instead of Kroger, there are Frys (Kroger is the "parent" of Frys)

6)  Not only are there Papa John's....but also Papa Murphey's  (I think Raleigh has Papa Murphey's)

7)  Taco Bell does NOT sell sweet tea here.......(bummer)

8)  Chic-fil-A's sweet tea tastes different in AZ than in NC

9)   Cracker Barrel's sweet tea tastes different in AZ than in NC

10)  Sweet tea is different here......and hard to come by

11)  Little Ceaser's $5 Hot & Ready exists!!

12)  AZ's "Safeway" is comparable to NC's "Harris Teeter"


13)  Although Taco Bell's are all over the place, Del Taco is also very popular in AZ (Taco Bell has better tacos and burritos in my opinion - but Del Taco has a Delux Taco Salad that EVERYONE should try)......Side Note:  It looks like there IS a Del Taco in Charlotte!!

14)  No Carmike Cinemas in AZ - Harkins, instead

15)  No US Cellular in AZ.......:-(


16)  No Zaxby's in AZ - TX is the closest state to AZ that has Zaxby's

17)  There are a lot of really great places in Arizona that are not in NC (I'll have to do another post to highlight them!!)

3 comments:

  1. Hahah love it! I'm betting you'll want to hit up Bojangles when you come back to visit, huh? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time you leave "The South" tea has a completely different meaning. I remember when we first moved to Georgia, I served Minnesota ice tea...big mistake... didn't even know sweet tea existed. No one drank the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of Bojangles until I went to the South, and most of our Hardee's went out of business!

    ReplyDelete