Monday, August 19, 2013

After the Visit - May 2013

It took me a whole month to get my resume out to Grand Canyon University - a month!  I was scared.  It took me two weeks (at least) to even get my resume in order.  Thanks to Carrie Carman-Jewers for all the help with my resume, by the way.  :-)

I was scared!  Scared of a big move.  Scared I'd actually get a job.  Scared of a new job.  Scared of new goals and dreams.  Scared of leaving behind old goals and dreams.  Just scared.

But I submitted my application and resume to GCU for three (3) different positions the middle of May, 2013.  I waited a week - and heard nothing.  So I contacted GCU regarding my recent submission, only to receive an email stating, "We will let you know" - basically that's what it said.  haha  Whatever the case, I did it - and no one could say that I was bluffing.....or was I?!?  In the mean time, I assured my family that I would only make the move to AZ if I got a job at GCU (which at that time, i was sort of hoping that it wouldn't happen - but at the same time, believing that if it happened, it would certainly be a God thing - which I would never allow myself to turn down)!

So I waited for a month - nothing!  And at the end of that month, I was a little stressed about my plans for the upcoming school year.  The current school year was coming to a close and I still did not, "technically" have a set job.  Now THAT is scary.  But I knew God would provide; well.....I kept reminding myself that he would provide.  Because He does.....He just does - if He takes care of the birds, surely he'll take care of us....., right Sarah Dickens Swain?!?  :-)

Anyways, GCU continued to stay on my mind, throughout all of the different emotions.

And then, the change in plans.......

I was scheduled to take a visit (drive, actually) to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania the middle of June for a friend's wedding that I was in.  I actually took the last work day off to make the drive to PA for the celebration of Jenn and Eric Grzegorczk (it's actually Grzegorczyk, but I was proud of myself for the almost-correct spelling the first time.....proud Jenn???).  ;-)

Whatever the case, I told my mom the Monday before I left for PA what I was contemplating:  moving to Phoenix the first week of July without a job........  I told her I knew it sounded absolutely insane, but while the plan itself sounded crazy, I felt very strongly about it.  I decided to take the trip to PA - the long drive there and back, by myself - to pray and seek the Lord on this matter.  Mom was very supportive, by the way - she knew that sometimes the Lord requires us to do some crazy-sounding things....:-)

My trip came and went - and the following Monday, I met with mom and told her my plan:
to move to Arizona without a job and to do very little research for a place to stay.  Okay, now I know some of you are gonna think I'm weird.  But I've noticed when the Lord puts something on my heart and mind.......at times He will not let it go until I follow through.  And I'm okay with this - it's just hard to share with other people, because truth be told.......it's hard for our little human minds to comprehend. lol  I told mom I wanted to rent a uHaul and pull my car across the country to Arizona - and I wanted her to go with me, if she would.  lol  She might have been overwhelmed folks, but she did not show it......she was very supportive. lol  Now it was time to tell Daddy......dun dun dun.....

I needed to tell him in person, and that particular Monday and Tuesday, he was in Mississippi....rats!!  That Wednesday was....tough.....and that Thursday I couldn't take it anymore, I had to drive home to tell Daddy.

Okay so he didn't take it very well - but as I'm writing this and thinking back through my story.....ummmmm, I had been assuring him that I would only go if I got a job....and a uHaul.....across the country????  lol  Alright, I'm not gonna focus on this part of the story right now as it makes me sad - that was really hard to tell my daddy....really, really hard.  lol  But I know he only loves me and wants to protect me - I totally get that.  I still had another Daddy putting stuff on my heart, though.  That was a tough time.  lol

So within the next two weeks (before the first of July), I planned as little as possible for apartment hunting (just enough to appease daddy, but little enough to appease my other Daddy), and changed my plans for how to get there on several occasions.  Fourteen foot UHaul, pulling my car on an auto-tow, with mama and/or daddy.  My car - pulling a uHaul trailer with a hitch (hahaha).  And finally - sell all your stuff and just take the car.  I went for the latter; although all of my stuff didn't sell in two days, a good bit of it did and the rest mom and dad agreed to help take care of (good will, salvation army, storage at home, etc).

And then the travels.....  To end this post, I want to make it known that my dad has been very supportive - even before I left.  It was a hard thing to swallow (understandably so), and hard to let his baby girl move across the country - but he's always just wanted me to be happy.  He knows I'm happy....so he's happy!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure in AZ! Keep following your heart! Love you!

    ReplyDelete